Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Mary Janes




Today was just one of those days that worked. Do you ever stumble upon one of those, or maybe you have many, I would like to have more..everything is good, the energy just flows really well, and you just go through the day, well, happy.

My shoe broke at the conference I was at, and it was a huge bummer, because I was faced to make a decision about the broken strap on one shoe and what to do about the other shoe, scissors seemed like the best answer in the time and space..and I hated to do it, to cut the straps on one of my most favorite pair of shoes--black patent leather platform Mary Janes, but it was one of those times when the decision had to be made then and there. So they went from Mary Janes to Pumps in about 10 seconds, and now they were too big without the strap holding me in, so I had to stuff the toe with tissue, and really it was all kind of funny, like a scene from a sitcom. But my day went on, and on well. After I drove home, I took them to a shoe repair shop, and the guy was so nice, and complimented my small 6 1/2 size foot, and said he could fix them--so I look forward to seeing what he creates.

Funny, as I write this, it is almost like I am having a moment of clarity. It would be so nice, and easy too, if when faced with problems, dilemmas, challenges, that a decision could be made quickly, with humor if possible, no looking back and then the day continues. Why cannot all of life be like a broken pair of shoes. Good thing we can make light of a broken pair of shoes, because every day would be so stinking difficult. I just wish I could have viewed this last year of my life like a broken strap on my favorite Mary Janes, and I could have taken that to the shoe repair guy, and he would have given me a compliment on my 6 1/2 size foot, and I would have walked out of the store with everything wrapped up. Instead, my shoe broke this year, and I did not want to cut the other shoe strap to match, if anything I kept the broken shoe around for a long time wondering what to do, quite despondent over it, I found no humor in it, no one was handing out compliments and there was no repair shop. With the strap broken, I was no longer being held in, and there was not enough tissue to stuff it to hold me down. I floated right out of those shoes into some other place. And the shoes, that represented my broken life were not repaired.

So maybe my broken shoe today was some sort of moment of clarity, that broken things can be fixed, sometimes quite easily, sometimes not so easily, but most things will get fixed, at some point. Silly I know, all over a pair of Mary Janes, but I am loving the symbolism right now. It is almost like the old me, that I had forgotten about, who can do quite well on her own, was peeking through it all.. Truth be told, there was a fleeting thought of feeling alone, when the strap broke, and in the past I could have shared that with my husband, the best friend call. But for that moment I had only me to share it with, and I did.

No comments: