Thursday, November 19, 2009

Jumping Off Bridges


I found out today that a lady tried to jump off our local, very high!! bridge last night. Apparently she stopped her car, and was climbing over the ledge, and some guy driving by spotted her and basically came to her rescue. Talking her out of it, along with a few other people, one a very good friend of mine. Seems stress and foreclosure (that is what the article said) were the culprits..I don't know the whole story. I am truly glad they saved her life.

Here is what I do know. Ending one's life is n e v e r the answer, we all know that on some deep level, all it is, is ending one's life. I know, how heart breaking and dismal life can be, but that is life, like the Game of Life, right, we never know what space we will land on (and the game is pretty damn tame.) I know, right now I sound like a callous bitch in a way, (I could put the witch that graces the Carrie blog in for my photo..hah) but I don't mean to sound bad. I just am seeing things differently these days, well sometimes.

First off, jumping off a very high bridge, in the freezing rain down a really long way to freezing deep dark water sounds just awful. Let alone the dying part!! The idea of being really scared, freezing and wet, right there I would never contemplate jumping off a bridge. Sounds nuts, but my mind does work that way. And then what if you don't die right away, or you slowly drown, or you suffer brain damage or paralysis, on and on. But again, jumping off a bridge is not an answer. Just like people this past year have killed their whole family due to financial strain, foreclosure, ruin, these are all awful things, no doubt, and really tough to deal with and move on from, but what else have we but time and so many resources to move forward. There is always at least one person hanging out somewhere, a minister, a long lost friend, a family member, a shelter, someone who lends that first hand, we just have to look for it.

I understand the depths of misery and the doom of lingering despair, that sits around almost laughing at us, so well. I have tried really hard lately to view my life at the 30,000 foot level, the one year later level, the humor in everything level, and really, there are always other ways to look at things. Life is just this weird thing. We have all these rules and expectations and ways things should be, all created by man and somehow became real to us. While we should try to live our best life here, and I mean, honest, loving, true, kind, helpful, and all those glorious qualities, we must at some point realize it is like Horton Hears a Who, and we are all just very small specks in a vast universe that never ends. We matter and yet we don't, that is a difficult balance to comprehend.

No comments: