Friday, November 6, 2009

$200 Jeans


I am not sold on $200+ jeans. I tried to be. I went this summer and tried on a dozen pairs. The salesgirl and my older daughter gave me their opinion, almost always telling me to go a size smaller, and I am a 2..really, smaller? It was exhausting and well a little bit fun, I felt like I finally was in the "inner circle" with all these ladies who run around town in the fancy jeans. So they convinced me I needed the smallest size, which had to be ordered. So I waited and waited. Then tried them on, and hung them up in my closet, waiting for the big day. Then a month later I tried them again and thought, you know, I don't like them this tight, so back they went for the next size (25 instead of a 24.) And they waited in my closet for the big day. Then recently I tried them on again, and thought, you know, I don't really even like them, I certainly don't love them! I want to love them, so I too can sport my $200 jeans. But honestly....I love my Gap jeans, and they were only $60. They fit way better and are not so loud. Maybe I have just missed the mark and don't know fashion, I don't think so..And I needed the $200, and the tags were on, so back they went and in a dash the $200 was back in my account, and I did not blink an eye. What a big waste of time this was.

Now I know, I know, there are thousands, millions? of women who say that these expensive jeans, and there are tons of brands as I found out at Nordstroms, are so worth it. I tried on 12 pairs, and did not feel really terrific in any of them. I found it hard to believe they were $200+. Now there are some styles I really like, like the bleaching, holes, rivets, etc..I L O V E the ones with the rips and holes, but really...I could probably create that myself....I think jeans have gotten pretty cool..but really...they ARE worth $200? as they tell us how much hand work etc.. goes into them..it just seems ridiculous to me. Somewhere along the line, women have been well marketed to, to think these $200+ jeans are going to make their butt look so great (it kind of does or it doesn't, sorry!) So I tried, I tried to be a fan. I might go back at some point and try on a dozen again, to see if I change my mind..I did like some of them..they were kind of cute..$100+ I can go for that, after that it just starts to seem like a waste of money.

And people are starving, and don't know where they will sleep tonight...cannot lose sight of that.

No comments: