Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Winter


As the darkest day of the year approaches, I find some comfort in it. As much as I love summer, and hot sunny days, I really am quite drawn to dark, and cold and misty days, with the feeling of snow in the air. It is not so much the image we have all become used to, the fun winter clothes, people smiling in their caps and scarves, and drinking hot drinks by the fire, candles all aglow, but almost more of an unobtainable reach, going back to something I miss, something I recognize.

Winter is the deep, dark, quiet season. Everything appears gone. I love the line in "The Rose"

Just remember in the winter
Far beneath the bitter snow
Lies the seed
That with the sun's love, in the spring
Becomes the rose


Can I say I kind of feel like sleeping beauty these days. Sequestered away in a high castle, covered in thorns, deep asleep, waiting to be reborn. I am not sure if a handsome prince is coming or not, most days I don't think so, I am afraid those days may be gone for me, and I don't like to stay too long in those thoughts, because I find them very sad..but I am hopeful that something is coming for me. That this long sleep will be over.

And while I am and have been asleep waiting for quite some time, there is also another part of me that is vibrantly alive and awake and the depths of winter are within me and I welcome it. I love to think of a cold, quiet, white landscape, with so much silence, and as far as the eye can see there is only solitude. There are no worries there are no dangers, there are no lies. And there I see me floating amongst the white snow in my own little world.

No comments: