Thursday, February 25, 2010

SeaWorld


This is such a story I just had to comment. I have to admit I learned a little bit more the past day, like the trainer, Dawn Brancheau, was extensively trained, and was only touching or near the whale, Tilikum, that no one ever got in the tank with him. He pulled her in by her pony tail, so it is reported, and that was it. What a way to go. He is 12,000 pounds and 22 feet long. Two times the size of female whales. Good god. He killed another trainer in 1991 in British Columbia. I believe he was used to sire many a baby whale, 13 I heard.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/25/florida.seaworld.death/index.html?hpt=T1

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/25/whales.seaworld.death/index.html

This is obviously bringing the debate again about whales and sea life in captivity, in SeaWorld or other similar parks around the world.

I just got a whole lesson on wikipedia..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_whale

Live captures fell dramatically in the 1990s, and by 1999, about 40% of the 48 animals on display in the world were captive born. I guess I was glad ? to read that..that they are taking less animals from the wild, and are there really only 48 on display worldwide, that just seems hard to believe..but I recall years ago on a show, that is is a very big deal to go get a whale from the wild. It is not like they say "can I go perform at SeaWorld?" They are taken from their families, often whales end up dying, it is a big deal. Can you imagine being taken from your family to go perform for crowds?

The captive environment usually bears little resemblance to their wild habitat, and the social groups that the killer whales are put into are foreign to those found in the wild. Critics claim that captive life is stressful due to small tanks, false social groupings and chemically altered water. Captive killer whales occasionally act aggressively towards themselves, their tankmates, or humans, which critics say is a result of stress. (Wikipedia)

I think it is totally wrong to have whales in tanks swimming around doing tricks for people. Way wrong. It is totally against nature. I read it is like for them being kept in a bathtub. I am sad just thinking about it. I for one, do NOT need to see a whale in captivity doing tricks to feel like I have really lived. The documentary nature shows on TV these days are so good, way better to see the real thing than a forced show for money and cheers. I feel the same way for dolphins, seals, tigers (a la Siegfried and Roy..) animals in the circus. It should all be shut down. I don't know if that will ever happen, but it is a nice thought. I feel so bad for the animals. Zoos, I guess they are kind of bad too, aren't they. At least they are not for profit. But I know at our local zoo, there are huge walruses in a pretty small tank. They are magnificent to watch swim around, but again, that is not the life they should have. Now I feel bad even going to the zoo.

I am sorry to see the trainer lose her life, and in such an awful and shocking way. Yet I am sure she knew the dangers every day. We cannot blame the whales, or the tigers, bears, etc..even that wacky chimp (remember that horrible story--although that was a private owner..)Wild animals are just that, they are meant for a very specific life, in the case of whales, for millions of years. Swimming around in a large swimming pool is just totally wrong.

No comments: