Friday, January 9, 2009

What Matters


I think it amazes me when I look at my blog, and think "geez, I have not written for one week." I should be writing every day. But there are days I just feel like I don't know what to say. Or what I want to say is so stupid or so selfish that I just don't want to put it down let alone out there to breathe on its own (and god forbid someone reads!)

Hmm..we are well into the first week of the new year--well past it. I feel pretty good. I am trying to keep my nose out of so much bad news on CNN, but it is very addicting to read every story that talks about the economy, the job losses, bank failures, credit problems, the worst times since the Great Depression, and on and on. It feeds something in us that somehow craves unsettling news. Is this some mass human trait, bent on feeling like being on the edge of a cliff?
I think perhaps so.

But there is always something worse, and always something better for that matter.

This past week I found out that a long time family friend, has stage 4 cancer. This friend was an original Junk Hauler for extra income--way before it became a great way to make a buck, way before 1 800 Got Junk? and all the rest. He used to come to our house on Saturdays and help my father load up debris from the yard. A nice Saratoga memory--it fits so well with Finding Saratoga. I don't recall that much as I was pretty young, but I do know that he became etched in my mind to look and seem just like John Denver--so that is who he is to me--or I guess I should say their two personas are one to me. He had that spirit, you could just see him singing Rocky Mountain High (I have no idea if he was a fan..) Anyhow he seemed almost like a grown up big brother (son) for my dad to work with. He still remembers those days, as he penned to my mom this week who wrote to him. And then one day he got cancer. I am sure right now he is a lot less concerned about the economy than he is with his health. Godspeed to him. People like him deserve long lives.

I read in a book recently, that if you were really sick, but had a million dollars, and could spend that money to be cured, well, you would do it! You would end up with no money in savings, maybe end up in a small apartment, but you would be healthy. The point of the story was if you already have your health, but don't have the million dollars, be grateful anyways! Health is worth everything. Often one cannot buy health, no matter how much we may try, or bargain with the universe to get it back.

I hear my daughter and her friend giggling right now as they enjoy their sleepover. They don't think about the economy one bit, and they shouldn't. They welcome each day, and small things like a class pizza party, swimming at the Y, a birthday party, send them soaring with excitement. We lose so much of this enthusiasm as we get older and become caught in the trap--worrying about the economy and wishing we had more money. Even as I write this I wish I could buy something, not sure what, but I always feel this way as I start the new year. And really it is just nuts. Honestly I don't need any clothes, or knick knacks for the house, or even a vacation, I already have a great life.

Well I wrote a little something. Was it stupid or selfish, I don't know. But I am glad I put some thoughts down before another day passed me by. They are all gifts.

No comments: