Monday, January 19, 2009

Dying Over Money


I got news today that was really sad. The former owner and builder of a home we had bought in Santa Cruz more than 10 years ago, killed himself earlier this month, due to depression and problems with his business in the current economy. How can this be? This guy was so nice and friendly and outgoing? How could I ever imagine years ago when we bought a home from him, that this is how it would end for him one day?

These stories are everywhere these days, the same general story line, people killing themselves due to that word, that word again that I am trying to manage and visit only when necessary and not live by it..... m o n e y. I hate the very idea that people kill themselves regarding money. It seems so beyond belief, yet it is a hugely shared human trait. I think everyone needs to watch
It is a Wonderful Life, and over and over again, until they see that money does not define who we are, and that it is often a means to an end, but it is NOT the big picture of why we are here.
There are always options. In the moments of deepest despair, I wish people could reach out to a friend, family, neighbor, and ask for help. It might not be money, maybe it is, but just support, ideas, other options they may not have thought about. How can money have such a power over the human spirit?

The more I sit at home and don't see what is available to buy, I swear the happier I get. I love the idea of living simpler, and I think it is going to catch on like a firestorm across the country. I hope this is a wake up call, that consuming and buying is not the recipe for happiness. I am so hopeful with our new president being sworn in tomorrow. He cannot be responsible to turn the country around, but to me he is like a modern day prophet, and I believe his time has totally come. I am so hopeful.

The house was so pretty, with so many architectural details and so well made. It turned out he built it when he thought he was getting divorced, only to get back together, so then he did not need the house. But he ended up getting divorced years later anyhow.. It was kind of like living in a piece of art he created to heal himself at that time. We bought it, after almost getting divorced ourselves, but then got back together. I still remember him showing us how the sprinkler system worked. Now he is gone.

No comments: