Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year


Here we are. Out of 2008. What a ride 2008 was, especially September - December. I don't remember feeling like that in awhile, just a sense of gloom riding along on my shoulder every day. I guess I am amazed at the end of the day how MUCH of our lives revolve around money. If you think about it, it really is astounding and unsettling. I am sitting here right now just taking that in. I don't want 2009 to be about money. I want it to be about getting in shape, writing, having fun with my little daughter, being a better wife, seeing my older daughter more, seeing my family. I wanted to say planning a trip, but that takes money! Every day my work is about money. I guess most of us who work can say that! If you are in sales, then it really is about money. How do we just turn it off?

At this very moment, I am sitting in my warm and very quiet office with only the sound of the heater in the distance and the desk light illuminating my space. The new year is just baby brand new at this time. I want to think this way every single day, and approach life with a sense of excitement and wonder at what lies ahead. I love stillness and total quiet.

My niece has a wonderful photo on Facebook, of my big brother and his wife holding my niece when she is just a month old or so, and their family dog is in the picture. The picture is about 20 years old. It was like looking at a piece of history the other day, I could not believe how young my brother and his wife look--in many ways just starting our on their path. The photo is classic--it really could represent any family. I realized how young I must look in my pictures from 20 years ago as well! Photos like that capture so much, plans and hopes and ambitions and love and youth and wonder. I guess that photo was like a New Years message to me, and I just stumbled upon it, but it stuck with me. How did my brother get to be almost 48 and me 45? I keep thinking we are like 20 something..

Always, always, we don't know what is around the corner. Hell I don't know what is around the corner when I leave my desk in 5 minutes..

I did accomplish something in 2008 that I am really excited about. I wrote 17 blogs in my personal one and 17 in my commercial one, and I worked a lot on my book, getting up to almost 60 pages--these might not sound like a big deal, but I have certainly found, not that I already did not know, that writing takes a tremendous amount of commitment and searching ones mind to put something down that is the least bit interesting, and then at other times it can be the easiest thing to do. I was inspired by Marley and Me, and want to live into the dream of being a writer. Right now, this little blog does not have much of a following--does it have one?

So here is to 2009..to wondering and thinking less about money, as a worry anyhow. To creativity and fun and love and to finding and seeing new things just waiting to be found.

No comments: