Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Auld Lang Syne


The other day when I was at Target, one of my favorite stores!, I thought I would look for another Christmas CD--as I have many, but even after awhile they get a little tiresome.
Once I looked at it, the first song was Auld Lang Syne by Dan Fogelberg, and that was all it took!
God I love that song. It takes me back in an instant to my high school days and all my girl friends and how much we all loved that song. I remember the Christmas season being so much fun back then. We all took such good care of each other with little gifts and parties at each other's homes and going out to dinner and things like that.

I have a picture somewhere of me with Cindy and Lisa, and I am in my red heart turtleneck and red sweater and 501s and my Mia clogs I think they were, God I loved those shoes and wish that I had them now, the kind with the back strap, and I am sitting behind them outside, as we sat on the curb I think, and I think it was at the Peppermill which was also one of our favorite spots. And I loved every minute of it.

So much of my high school days were filled with so much laughter, and I think it was like fuel for me back then and I felt so good with my friends. And so much of that ended when high school ended and lives change so much and people move away and go to college (but I did not, so I truly missed the social life back then.) It is almost impossible to believe that that picture was taken like 28 years ago, because in so many ways it seems like yesterday. Perhaps the holiday season does this to so many of us, filling us with nostalgia, to the brim, falling over the brim. It is so much to take in, and yet it is so comforting.

These are such difficult times for so many right now. It is very hard not to feel stressed. We are truly in this together. But for a minute here and there I leave the time we are in and remember when my life seemed so much easier and often so fun :)

No comments: