Friday, December 26, 2008

Getting Through


I feel like I should have a title like Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays, or How I Love the Holidays, but I am not feeling any of that. I am feeling, can we be done with the holidays, can we be done with this year, can I take a vacation..

Where are the holidays in real life that look like pictures in the JCrew catalog? I mean they are here, in and out, and a snip it here and there, but often it is just a lot of work, hassle, money, crappy weather, disappoinment, opportunities missed, time gone by, and so fast, that may be the crux of it all.

I don't want to sit here and feel like Mrs. Grinch, because I am not at all. I have so many blessings. But so much of this month is a drag, I mean how does one keep finding every day the happy face, the "I am so lucky" the "Happy Holidays" said to everyone, I find it all quite exhausting. And the wrapping and the cleaning and the cooking and the dishes, just to keep doing it over and over--where is my $#@*# holiday spirit? I think it got thrown out with the yet another bag of dog vomit that I have been picking up now for 5 days straight at 6 in the morning. And that is about as Holiday Spirit as it comes!

I guess I just don't have it in me to keep pulling out all the love and warmth I need to give to everyone whether I want to or not, and at any given moment's notice. I guess when the holidays start right after Thanksgiving, it just does get to be too long and too much. And I find myself on December 26 so excited to strip away the Christmas decorations along with the whole theme, and have an undecorated home as I move into January and just sit, sit and maybe do nothing.Certainly not run around and say Happy Holidays.

And so yeah, whoever reads this might say,"What a Mrs Grinch." But I am not, honestly. But at this given moment my steam has run out for the holidays. Maybe a couple of movies are in my future this week, maybe a new game or two with my daughter, maybe I will even throw myself into her new puppet theater and see if I can come up with a funny commercial--that sounds that most fun of all--making a puppet out of myself.

No comments: