Friday, January 22, 2010

The Divorce Registry




This week I read about a store in England who has a "divorce registry." I love the idea!

Getting divorced is the worst! I want it to be at the top of the list of most stressful events. And it can take forever to go away, especially if you have children.

If your divorce was like mine, there is this very odd separating of household goods that must take place. It has to. It was funny, because my mom was convinced that I could just keep everything! God bless her!! So, if like me, you are not only heartbroken beyond belief, but now you have to go through every f!%^ing cupboard and decide who gets what, and this is so not something you want to do at the moment. And it is kind of a quick decision, because this is not something you want to prolong, and get together about once you have split up. So there I was in my kitchen, going through every room of the house, having to make snap decisions about what to give away in the 50/50 break up. And then it all walked out the door.

People love to hear about weddings. They love to go to parties, buy gifts, celebrate! Divorce..it is kind of like a plague. People want to help, sort of..what is there to say, to do, there is really no fun or celebrating going on--at least not in the early phases--and I do not believe, for the most part, that divorce should ever be celebrated. Shoot me.

So there you are, kind of alone, unless you joined some horrible "getting divorced club" and you have the joy of hearing other people's stories--who you hope will be far worse than yours so you can feel better. For me, I preferred just a one on one approach with a counseler who was like a fan club, just what I needed.

So anyhow, why not get gifts? I bet people would love to go to Target, or Ikea, Cost Plus (notice these are my favorite stores!) Macys, Nordstroms, whatever, and select something off a registry and have it shipped to you. They don't even have to see you right now. But they will feel better thinking of you, and you, you will feel better getting gifts. You can do all your registering on line, so you won't have to fear a tearful breakdown with the clerk when trying to select what toaster to put on your divorce registry.

You can even make it easy on yourself and send out an electronic announcement with your registry information. So your life will suck for awhile, maybe a long while, but at least you will get gifts. Why should marriage get all the gifts?!

No comments: