Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Jon and Kate


Well I am sure there are hundreds of blogs and articles written all the time right now about Jon and Kate. It is kind of a phenomenon that it has become part of the fabric of our culture, maybe the whole world knows about them, imagine that stress.

I had never heard of the show until my daughter found out a year or so ago from her friend across the street. My daughter fell in love at first sight. Someone who loves family and cannot wait to have children of her own, she would watch the show for hours if she could. Honestly I only saw a little bit here and there. I thought Kate seemed kind of crabby, and I thought Jon seemed terribly immature. I sure called it! And little did I know at the time how much it mirrored my own life!

I, like the rest of the world, who were not really fans, suddenly became intensely aware of Jon and Kate in the last month or so when pictures surfaced of Jon in the late ..or really very early morning hours, hanging out with some chic who was not his wife. For many of us, that was it.
I do NOT care if there was nothing going on, and c'mon there was!! it is totally inappropriate for a MARRIED MAN AND FATHER to be out with any woman except his wife. CRAZY. Why wasn't he home with his children (I believe Kate was on a business trip.)

And then like we know, the story snowballed from there, and suddenly like finding out the terrible private details of a neighbor's marriage, the whole world found out about them. I have to say in the beginning of all of this, I was a bit in the middle. I felt like Kate was a bit of a prima donna, enjoying the nice life . Manicures, tanning, teeth whitening, nice clothes..it just did not seem what a mom of 8 should be spending so much time on. While I still think she has gotten a bit lost in the idea of celebrity...now that another few weeks have passed, and now that I saw them on the infamous episode last night announcing their separation/divorce, I just really had a change of heart.

Jon is an ass. Did he really say he is "excited." Beyond unbelievable. He acts like a college student. Listen, bud, you got married and you wanted kids--you got 8. Your life is not about having two pierced ears (really, when did he do that??) going out drinking, and being "excited" about ending your marriage. I wanted to throw up. This guy is so immature. I know 32 is pretty young, but he is acting so bad now, like he really went off the deep end. Like SO MANY men and I know one...who decide, life is better out there--there is sex and fun and wild women and parties and no crabby bitch at home to tell me what to do--watch out!! And let me say, YUCK. Get yourself together. You are not young, you have children and you made a commitment. I hate the way that is has become so EASY just to walk away, and the way society makes it so acceptable.

I grieve for Kate, as I know what she is feeling, and her grief is 8x mine. She is clearly sad and devastated, and does not want to have this be the future for herself and her kids. She does not want them to be labeled, and I totally get that. It is awful to have a marriage fail. I think Kate might be a bit much to deal with, but hey she has EIGHT kids--I am not sure any of us would be any better. She certainly seems devoted and on top of things and is not looking to become Miss Single out on the town screwing around, like her dearly departed husband.

So I just had to get on my soap box about this. I really feel for her. I feel like he was somehow convinced by friends or family members that Kate was ruining his life--didn't he say something like he let her rule the roost, but now he is standing up for himself and proud of it--YUCK. Get a grip buddy, you are married with kids--welcome to marriage with kids.

Our society has made it way too easy to just walk away--not legally, but morally. MEN for the most part blame their wives, they were just not fun enough, not sexy enough, not hot enough, not nice enough, did not give them plenty of attention..ENOUGH--why are there so many men who are forever little boys. Oh not to say there are plenty of loser women out there too--who also think they are going to go have some great new lives, who will drag their children through their endless dating and hook ups, and will blatantly along with their ex husbands show them lives and activities and concepts that are NOT meant for children, and thousands of children will lose the fabric of a solid home--and their parents will do this to them. Parents who decided to stop being parents, stop being grown ups, and worry too damn much about their good times and fun and sexuality and put their kids on the back of the stove.

I am LUCKY. I grew up with real parents. My dad is 80, and he WOULD never abandon his family. He would never run around and worry about his love life. He was committed 24/7. My mom stayed home with us, and did a million things beyond raise 7 children. Never once did I worry my mom was not a role model for a good woman for me--she was clean cut, and honest, and pretty, and taught me how to be a lady and my brothers how to be men.

So now we all witness yet another failed marriage and I wonder, what is the future of the American family?

No comments: