Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Facebook


Okay, I guess I just must be missing something..

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/0,28757,2036683,00.html?xid=newsletter-weekly

I was on Facebook for about 5 months..then I was getting divorced and I just couldn't handle taking my little heart down that said I was married..I did not want to put it out there, I just wanted to quietly be divorced and not in the the world of Facebook...so I just became a closed account I suppose.

I have not missed Facebook at all, not one bit. I found it all a waste of time and exhausting to waste my time..I must be missing something though, considering how popular it is and how much time people spend on there. ??? I don't feel like I am missing anything. In fact, the day I took myself off it I felt better. I did not feel like I had to present how great my life was, all the fabulous things I was up to, tons of photos, showing my life in all its wonderful glory. hah.

It sounds terrible, but I don't really care what people are up to that I have not been in touch with for years anyhow..okay, that isn't totally true, I do like to catch up, but I don't need to keep catching up..it is like high school reunions for me..they are fun, but they are fleeting. My experience of Facebook, is that we have become obsessed with being important, and posting about ourselves, our lifes, photos, etc..seems to be a way to make ourselves bigger than we really are..are celebrities all that big anyhow?? only because they get ton of press, really they are just people... and my friends that I am in touch with, well I don't feel like I need to go to Facebook to see what they are up to, and same goes for my family.

From Time's Person of the Year..

Almost seven years ago, in February 2004, when Zuckerberg was a 19-year-old sophomore at Harvard, he started a Web service from his dorm. It was called Thefacebook.com, and it was billed as "an online directory that connects people through social networks at colleges." This year, Facebook — now minus the the — added its 550 millionth member. One out of every dozen people on the planet has a Facebook account. They speak 75 languages and collectively lavish more than 700 billion minutes on Facebook every month. Last month the site accounted for 1 out of 4 American page views. Its membership is currently growing at a rate of about 700,000 people a day.

What just happened? In less than seven years, Zuckerberg wired together a twelfth of humanity into a single network, thereby creating a social entity almost twice as large as the U.S. If Facebook were a country it would be the third largest, behind only China and India. It started out as a lark, a diversion, but it has turned into something real, something that has changed the way human beings relate to one another on a species-wide scale. We are now running our social lives through a for-profit network that, on paper at least, has made Zuckerberg a billionaire six times over.

Facebook has merged with the social fabric of American life, and not just American but human life: nearly half of all Americans have a Facebook account, but 70% of Facebook users live outside the U.S. It's a permanent fact of our global social reality. We have entered the Facebook age, and Mark Zuckerberg is the man who brought us here.

Okay I have to say these are amazing facts and stats! I am very impressed! But I am still not a fan. See, I would much rather hear about important things going on in people's lives..I don't care about a party over the weekend..I care about who they are. I think we are becoming less and less interesting, I don't feel people offer a lot of depth, and that is way more interesting to me.
To be fair, I have not been on Facebook in over 18 months..so I don't know, maybe people are posting all kinds of things about themselves that show their depth..I am going to guess no...maybe I am just really weird, and completely missing the boat of why Facebook is so appealing..but I am going to say that people want to be important, and Facebook offers a small spot in the world to do that..but at the end of the day, I don't think it changes anything for the masses..life will move on incredibly fast, we will feel like it is so fleeting, and when we are gone our Facebook page won't really matter. But hopefully we will have written a person or two a really beautiful note, we will have connected with our parents and children and siblings and friends (and not hundreds of them, you cannot really have hundreds of great friends..) we will have made amends and we will have forgiven. We will have reached out, and shared some amazing laughs, and some tears, we will have made a difference to some very special people in our life. That is what matters to me and I don't need Facebook to do that at all.

4 comments:

Andy Lee said...

Hi Danna,
I was checking my gmail and a link to your blog happen to show up where the ads appear up at the top, at least that's what I think I clicked on. Hah whatever the case, it was by mere chance or fate that I happen to come across your blog. I guess your subtitle struck my attention about Marriage Divorce Relationships Reflections. I don't know why I'm writing this but I guess just reading your last two blogs they really struck a cord with me. Something that I've been thinking about on and off, mostly about Facebook. But I think you get to a deeper root of the problem - if you can even call that - of how we portray ourselves through pictures and statements. Recently having going through a rough patch myself I found Facebook to be rather a difficult to look at or communicate how I am feeling or doing especially when it's confusing to even know own yourself. I remember a pastor saying that in order to find yourself, you first need to loose yourself. And when one is in the mist of finding oneself, I found out there is a need and desire to connect with people at a deeper level where Facebook type of communication does not do justice. Before I ramble on, I just wanted to say that I am thankful for coming across your writing and being vulnerable. I don't know how much encouragement you get from writing but I just wanted to thank you for encouraging me in my walk in life. Seeing your vulnerability of opening up I guess there's a little piece that I would like to share with you when I was in much tears and felt rather hopeless. Take care now...

Andy Lee said...

Hi Danna,
I was checking my gmail and a link to your blog happen to show up where the ads appear up at the top, at least that's what I think I clicked on. Hah whatever the case, it was by mere chance or fate that I happen to come across your blog. I guess your subtitle struck my attention about Marriage Divorce Relationships Reflections. I don't know why I'm writing this but I guess just reading your last two blogs they really struck a cord with me. Something that I've been thinking about on and off, mostly about Facebook. But I think you get to a deeper root of the problem - if you can even call that - of how we portray ourselves through pictures and statements. Recently having going through a rough patch myself I found Facebook to be rather a difficult to look at or communicate how I am feeling or doing especially when it's confusing to even know own yourself. I remember a pastor saying that in order to find yourself, you first need to loose yourself. And when one is in the mist of finding oneself, I found out there is a need and desire to connect with people at a deeper level where Facebook type of communication does not do justice. Before I ramble on, I just wanted to say that I am thankful for coming across your writing and being vulnerable. I don't know how much encouragement you get from writing but I just wanted to thank you for encouraging me in my walk in life. Seeing your vulnerability of opening up I guess there's a little piece that I would like to share with you when I was in much tears and felt rather hopeless. I guess you can think of it as a small Christmas gift. Take care now...

Andy Lee said...

As John Nash says in the mysterious equation of love... and hope, as irrational it may be at the time, we still wish for it. We want it more than ever before. It speaks to the truth underlying our emotions. I think in fact emotions are far more rational than rationality as we call it today. It speaks to truth that underlies life and it's struggles. It just doesn't stop there, it points to something that every hurting heart desires. A place where we can be liberated without thinking about the reality of this broken world. A place where time is not an issue. The fleeting thought of oh when I get back from vacation to reality... Doesn't exist. I know this place is good in fact so good that it seems unattainable. But why does it feel so unattainable when it feels so familiar? When we feel it and have glimpses of it. I look at a beautiful foliage and at first glance it's glorious but then it passes. Maybe for some people it doesn't. But there is this tendency to find something even more wonderful even more glorious. This high and almost an escape that people are searching for. There is a place, well God reveals to us in His word there is a place when one day when His will is done on earth as in heaven, it will magnificent beyond imagination. I trust in that and as difficult it may be to grasp there are moments when I say this feeling this event if it were to last longer it would be great. There will be a place where the glorious experience will never get old, never be redundant, never cease. I ask myself how's that possible? Everything in this world is the other way around. Romance seems to be fleeting, Love seems to be fleeting, people seems to be fleeting, life seems to be fleeting. But then I ask what is impossible for man anything is possible by God the Father. So where do I put my trust and hope, I trust those attributes with God. He is the creator and maker He is alpha and omega. I am a finite human. It is irrational to put my eternal worries upon myself. It is yours Father, I leave it with you.

-Andy

Prairie Primitives Folk Art said...

When I first heard about Facebook, it was still only available to college students, which excluded me. Once it became available to the public, I hesitated joining for a couple of years, despite numerous invitations from real-life friends, mainly due to what I expected to be a major time-suck. And it has been!

But it's been a mostly fun one! I am an artist and I mostly use Facebook for marketing my primitive folk art. A week ago, someone set up a yard sale on Facebook and invited me to join. Although my folk art isn't selling so fast there, I am selling a LOT of stuff, about $500, I'd say, based on how my PayPal account has grown in the last week! At the moment, there are 14 or 15 piles of stuff in my living room, one for each shopper who is running a tab with me! I'm getting a good feel for what's selling (handmade stuff sold WAY too cheap), so I've been digging through bins and boxes trying to find things that have been packed away because they weren't popular at local craft fairs! Well, I need to get back to it ... LOL!

PS: I also found your blog because of an ad on my Gmail account. I wondered if your Saratoga was the one near San Jose; still haven't figured that out, but I enjoyed the read!